“For all mankind, living becomes dying; death is the inevitable consequence of living. Yet inevitability does not bring acceptance, willingness, or comprehension”
No two people react to dying or death in exactly the same way. Yet, like the psychological events of dying, grief, which is a psychological response, embraces certain characteristic changes such as the experience of the pain of grief or the adjustment to an environment without the deceased.
Additional factors may further complicate the grieving process will be determined by the personality of the bereaved, for example previous major loss or difficulty in expressing feelings. The relationship of the bereaved with the deceased must also be considered. Finally the nature of the death may affect the bereaved.
Cancel Help’s bereavement support service will take all of these factors into account in supporting a bereaved relative, friend or carer. The aim of the service is to:
- Help to understand and come to terms with the loss;
- Help to identify and express personal feelings regarding the loss;
- Offer support and reassurance of their sanity, and assistance in interpreting ‘normal’ behaviour;
- Give sufficient time and space for grief, and ultimately to reassess and redirect future life without the deceased;
- Give the opportunity and encourage the making of personal decisions about the future.
Cancer Help’s bereavement support service offers a person-centred approach to bereavement following the death of a person through cancer, or pre-bereavement support for those whose loved on has a terminal cancer diagnosis. “Counselling developed from the belief that the best way of healing the emotional distress people suffer is found in each individual.” (Carl Rogers)
The service is provided by a skilled team of staff. The bereaved are invited to visit Cancer Help, though in exceptional circumstances domiciliary visits would be agreed in consultation with the individual’s GP.
The help provided by Cancer Help may include individual counselling, group support, and family support.